4.13.2009

Limon Motor

Last night, I received this lovely video from Sydnie Mosley. My connection with this project was a new experience for me: a musician transcribed a solo piano performance of mine and played it live for this concert. The track, "Limon Motor", was originally composed around 10 years ago for the Jose Limon Company. I used chord changes from a Schubert song and the framework of a piano technique exercise to build the piece. It is "hand exercise" that practices distinction between outer melodies and inner harmony. I pick any chord changes or a jazz standard and move through them slowly as an improvisation. My first summer at ADF, I took 7 minutes to play through "All the Thing You Are" during the musicians concert. Mark Haim approached me that summer and aksed me to work on his new piece for the Jose Limon Company. The music was often performed live and it would change from night to night.

Thanks and good luck to Sydnie. Her piece is entitled, "A Side of the World for a Canvas" and is part of her MFA Thesis work at the University of Iowa. The performance was held at the Space Place Theater - Iowa City, IA - April 2, 3 & 4. Limon Motor starts around 5:40 in the video, enjoy!